The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is a museum of world culture and natural history in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. With its main entrance facing Bloor Street in Downtown Toronto, the museum is situated north of Queen's Park and east of Philosopher's Walk in the University of Toronto. Founded in 1912, the museum has maintained close relations with the university throughout its history, often sharing expertise and resources..Beginning in 2002, the museum went through a major renovation and expansion project, dubbed Renaissance ROM. The centerpiece of the project is a major facility known as the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal, designed by architect Daniel Libeskind whose design was selected from among 50 entrants in an international competition. The design saw the Terrace Galleries torn down and replaced with a Deconstructivist crystalline-form structure, named after Michael Lee-Chin who donated $30 million towards its construction. The Crystal was opened in 2007. Renovated galleries in the historic buildings reopened in stages, and all work was completed by 2010.