Birmingham, Alabama

Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 30 of 231
< Prev Next >
20140227_ingram_pk_0137.jpg
Kelly Ingram Park, named in 1932 for local firefighter Osmond Kelly Ingram, is a four acre park located in Birmingham, Alabama. In 1992 it was completely renovated and rededicated as "A Place of Revolution and Reconciliation" to coincide with the opening of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, an interpretive museum and research center, which adjoins the park to the west.  It is bounded by 16th and 17th Streets and 5th and 6th Avenues North in the Birmingham Civil Rights District. The park, just outside the doors of the 16th Street Baptist Church, served as a central staging ground for large-scale demonstrations during the American Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.